Myofascial Release & Craniosacral Therapy Course
Sunday Oct. 21st - Monday Oct. 22nd, 2018
(Registration is located at the bottom of the page)
16 Hours of education:
8 Hours on Sunday and Monday
(Hands on learning with several breeds of dogs)
Max attendance: 20
Qualifications/Prerequisites: This 2 day course is open to Physical Therapists and Veterinarians who have successfully completed a certification or diploma in canine rehabilitation.
This course is split into two days, focusing on Myofascial Therapies for the Axial Skeleton and Extremities on the first day (Sunday, Oct. 21st) and Craniosacral Therapy on the second day (Monday, Oct. 22nd).
Myofascial Therapies for the Axial Skeleton & Extremities
Fascia is a structure that surrounds all parts of every part of the body. It is damaged by injury, weakness, poor posture, postural compensations, and neural imbalances. However, it is a frequently over looked structure, that responds well to treatment. This portion of the course will help you to understand fascia, and assess and treat common myofascial dysfunctions.
- Participants will learn about the constructs and properties of the fascial system
- Participants will learn to visually analyze a canine patient to predetermine likely areas of fascial dysfunction.
- Participants will improve their soft tissue palpation skills, including the ability to identify myofascial trigger points and myofascial restrictions.
- Participants will learn manual techniques to address myofascial dysfunctions for both the extremities and the axial skeleton.
- Participants will learn how to incorporate myofascial therapies into their treatment regimens.
Introduction to Craniosacral Therapy
This one portion of the course is designed to provide participants with a background into craniosacral therapy. A brief history of osteopathy (& in particular craniosacral therapy), concepts and theories will be explored. Participants will be challenged to explore a new paradigm of palpation, assessment and treatment by feeling for and working with the craniosacral rhythm. A therapy protocol for a sample craniosacral session will be learned.
- Participants will be introduced to osteopathy and craniosacral therapy
- Participants will be introduced to osteopathy and craniosacral therapy.
- Participants will be instructed in the indications & contraindications for craniosacral therapy
- Participants will gain a basic understanding of the gentle touch and perceptions required to practice craniosacral therapy
- Participants will improve their touch skills in order to feel for craniosacral rhythm
- Participants will be instructed in concepts specific to craniosacral therapy utilization (listening, still points, release points, tissue release signs craniosacral rhythm, balancing, etc)
- Participants will learn how and where to induce a ‘still point’
- Participants will learn how to address the key ‘release points’
- Participants will learn a multistep protocol to use in whole or in part to input craniosacral therapy into their toolkit of therapy options.
Please note: This course may be eligible for CEU's in your state, though it will be up you to submit the certificate of completion, course objectives, hours and any other paperwork that may be required to your own respective state Board for approval. There is no guarantee that your state Board will approve this course for CEU's.
It offers everything else you need--learning from the best! The instructor's (Laurie Edge-Hughes) previous courses in other states have been RACE and APTA approved, and the content of this course is no different. Same great instruction, same great treatment skills to take back home, but it will be up to you to submit the appropriate paperwork to your own professional board for approval.
About the Instructor
BScPT, MAnimSt(Animal Physio),CAFCI, CCRT
Laurie obtained her degree in physical therapy (BScPT) from the University of Alberta in 1993. Following graduation, she worked in the intensive care unit at the Foothills Hospital (Calgary, AB) before practicing at a private physiotherapy clinic (Cochrane, AB). Her broad post-graduate education has been in the field of human and canine orthopaedics, including advanced assessment and treatment in spinal and extremity neuro-musculoskeletal conditions, postural stabilization, dynamic muscular stabilization, adverse neural tissue tension assessment and treatment, and osteopathic therapeutic techniques (i.e. muscle energy, craniosacral therapy, and functional indirect therapy). Laurie received her certification in medical acupuncture from the Acupuncture Foundation of Canada Institute. She also obtained special dispensation to practice spinal manipulations in the province of Alberta.
Laurie has always demonstrated particular interest in the field of animal physiotherapy. Early on in her career, she completed numerous courses offered by the Canadian Horse and Animal Physical Therapists Association (CHAP) in this field. She initiated her practice with animals in 1993, integrating her skills and knowledge in physical therapy and rehabilitation in humans with her passion for animals. Laurie founded Four Leg Rehabilitation Therapy (Cochrane, AB) in 1997, where she provided physical therapy services to animals and their owners in the greater Calgary area. Laurie currently practices canine rehabilitation at The Canine Fitness Centre Ltd. (www.caninefitness.com) in Calgary, AB, Canada a facility she established in 2004 in partnership with Dr. Amalia Rossi Campos MVZ, MSc and Dr. Manuel Campos, MVZ, MSc, PhD. She recognizes the importance of continuing education, so she pioneered the only online educational resource for canine rehabilitation. (www.fourleg.com)
Laurie's most recent accomplishment is the publication of her new book, Successful Practitioners in Canine Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy which just came out earlier this year! It is now available on Amazon, so check it out! (www.amazon.com)
Course begins Sunday, Oct. 21st at 8:30a and concludes on Monday, Oct. 22nd at 6:00p
Myofascial Release and Craniosacral Therapy
Participants must be a licensed and certified canine PT or certified rehab DVM to participate.
Santa Barbara Humane Society
(8 minute walk from hotel)
* 16 Hours of Expert Instruction & Interaction
* Small group setting (20 people max)
* Includes all conference materials
* Includes all meals (if staying at the
If you would like to take BOTH the Myofascial Release & Craniosacral Therapy Course as well as the Basic Manual Therapy Course, the total course fee is $2000 (a $200 discount!)
Non-refundable deposit of $400 is necessary to hold your spot in the class.
Full payment of $1100 due by September 1st, 2018. If you want to sign up after September 1st, please contact email@example.com
If you would like to register for both the Basic Manual Therapy Course and the MFR & Craniosacral Therapy Course, a non-refundable deposit of $800 is necessary to hold your spot in the class.
Full payment of $2000 is due by September 1st, 2018 (a $200 discount!).If you want to sign up after September 1st, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be notified by email when your final payment has been received via credit card or check by mail.
If you need to cancel after paying the full amount and we have a waiting list, we will refund your full amount.
No refunds after September 1st. A partial credit may be applied to future ARC events.
(Don't worry, we will never share any of your information with anyone)
2 SIMPLE STEPS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT:
1. Please fill out the registration form below then click SUBMIT.
2. Look for the payment button below (Deposit, Balance, or Full Payment). This button takes you to our secure payment page so you can make your deposit, pay the balance or pay for entire course at once.
You only need to fill out the registration form once. Then come back to this same page to pay your balance later.
We look forward to hosting a great conference!
Atlas Rehabilitation for Canines (ARC) reserves the right to cancel the event for any reason, at any time. If so, we will provide a full refund of tuition.
Atlas Rehabilitation for Canines Conference Registration Form
Please click one of the links below if you would like to register for ONLY the MFR & Craniosacral Therapy Course:
Please click one of the links below if you would like to resister for BOTH the MFR & Cranioscacral Therapy Course AND the Basic Manual Therapy Course: